Friday, January 30, 2009

An "Old Fashioned" Crown?

I like the big names.

Square Eddie caught my eye last year as a two-year-old. Still keeping him in my sights.

Midshipman sure is impressive; he has the stamina but we don't know what plans for him will be.

Stardom Bound brings the girl power.

Haven't had a chance to catch up on all of the top contenders yet ... but I am looking forward to a particular horse's three-year-old debut in a couple of weeks. He seems to have that "it" quality, very reminiscent of recent champions like Barbaro, Street Sense and Big Brown. Yes, I have actually picked the Derby winner successfully for the last 3 years in a row and I'm trying hard not to break my lucky streak!

I think I only have to say his name once.

Old Fashioned.


Can't wait to see what he brings as a three-year-old, but his career as a two-year-old was absolutely dominating!

A pleasure to watch. It will be fun to see what he does.

Case in point ...


The Remsen Stakes on November 29th ... and this wasn't even his most impressive winning margin!



Yes, he controlled the pace. Yes, he had easy fractions through the first half-mile. Still, he won with such ease that it's hard to ignore.

Now I learn he worked 5 furlongs in 58.80 yesterday morning!

Sure, he's a front-runner, but it seems as though he can hold off the competition and, in fact, he almost appears to accelerate further when they run at him!

Considering the tragedy Larry Jones had last year with Eight Belles, let's hope he has a winner this season with Old Fashioned. It sure would be a high note for him to retire on!

No comments:

Post a Comment