Monday, January 26, 2009

Curlin, again? Really?

I'll probably get into a bigger rant about it at a later date because I need to head off to bed ... but ... why? Oh why? Curlin? Seriously? Two years in a row? Sure, he's a great horse. Definitely the cream of the crop for his generation (though my favorite horse of '07 is still Street Sense by a long shot!). But he is NOT worthy of being honored in history with the likes of Cigar. Not even close. I was sad when he passed Cigar's North American earnings record. Now that he's won 2 HOTY titles in a row, I'm just downright depressed.

If he had won the BC Classic, maybe ... just maybe ... I would understand. But he failed. Miserably. Can't run on synthetics. Can't run on turf. Can't beat the fillies. I hate to quote Rick Dutrow Jr. because, well, like most people I can't stand the guy - as much as I love the horses he trains - but honestly ... "I don't know what's so great about Curlin!"

Sure he won the World Cup and the Gold Cup, yes he was always impressive. But he didn't run against anyone SUPER talented this year. Ultimately he ran against a bunch of "nobodys!" How does that qualify him to be the overwhelming choice for Horse of the Year? Other than his trip to Dubai, he didn't do anything that impressive IMHO!

Then you have Zenyatta who is PERFECT. Nine for nine. NEVER lost a race in her LIFE! Winning the Ladies' Classic in '08 in unbelievable fashion. Dessimating the field, wiping her hooves on any filly or mare she comes across. Never faltering. Poetry in motion. Nothing can keep that girl down. At the very least, I would have liked to have seen her get more votes than she did. Sigh.

Ah well. It was ineveitable, but I just don't understand the injustice of it all. Then to see Asmussen take the Eclipse Award for trainer as well just put an even more bitter taste in my mouth. Guh. Just ... guh. Hope I never get stuck working for THAT guy. Sure, he's better than Dutrow - who isn't - but I'm just not a fan.

At least Zenyatta took home Older Female, Big Brown took Three-Year-Old Male (like there was any doubt) and others like Proud Spell, Indian Blessing and Garrett Gomez got the recognition they all deserved. I just really wish Curlin didn't get so much hype. He is so overrated it's laughable. Too bad Big Brown had to retire two weeks before the Classic because it is so obvious he would have made Curlin eat his DUST. Then there would have been no competition to speak of. Sadly it was not meant to be.

For me, Big Brown will always be Horse of the Year and Zenyatta ... well ... she's in a class all her own! Can't wait to see her return this year, I just hope they made the right choice and that she runs safely. How awesome would it be to see her run against the boys? I think she would be spectacular and I cannot wait to see what she does next. Haven't been this excited about a mare or filly since Rags to Riches took the Belmont ... and oh yeah, who did she beat in that race? The invincible Curlin!?!? Hmmmmm. LOL! Since Rags had to retire early it would be a real treat to see Zenyatta go on to make an even BIGGER name for herself! Wouldn't want to see another George Washington tragedy unfold. :(

Congrats to all the winners, I just would have preferred it that Curlin only take home one trophy tonight instead of two. Oh well. He's done, retired, off to the breeding shed ... so guess they figured they'd let him go out with a bang. Even though they seem to forget his final race was a pretty pitiful loss. Like I said, "what's so great about Curlin?"

Get me Zenyatta back on the track and I'll be happy!

Someone get me up to Three Chimneys quick because I think I need to go visit Brownie to lift my spirits!! Still haven't gotten the chance to see him since he's been there and I'm DYING to. Have to remind myself what a fabulous year it was for racing in '08, and how close we truly came to a Triple Crown!

I say this every year and every year I have a little more hope in my heart ... but ... maybe this year will be THE year ...

No comments:

Post a Comment